Friday, September 4, 2009

Day 1- Demolition

Austin and Ryan's bathroom has needed some attention since we bought the house 4 years ago. It just never got done because I didn't want to spend thousands of dollars to fix it up. So, the past four years we would just patch what needed to be patched. Honestly, the patch work was fine. Come on, it's the basement bathroom and a 14 & 11 year old mess it up daily. Anyways, the crappy shower that was already in the house when we bought our house finally gave way and cracked and water started leaking behind it. Do you think Austin and Ryan told us when the crack happened? NO. Anyways, I was a little nervous to start tearing apart the wet wall because I knew there would be mold... and there was, an area of about 3 x 3. I quickly got all the wet and molded drywall out of the house, took me about 30-45 minutes. Yes, pappy... safety first, I wore a mask, turned the air off, opened windows, kept to kids upstairs, etc etc. I'm just thankful it was contained to a small area, it could have been much worse.

Back to the remodel, I've been talking for a while about what I wanted to do in the bathroom, but again, I didn't want to spend the money and have somebody do it. So, I'm doing it... yes, me. I know crazy... but thankfully, I like this kind of thing and I honestly think I can do it. Apparently, Chris has 100% confidence in me too, because he has not questioned me once.

I hoping by the end of the weekend I will have all the drywall off, floor taken out, and the backer boards up on the walls. So basically, all the prep work so next weekend I can tile.