Thursday, May 14, 2009

Winning the Battle

Elle has been doing very well since we have been home. She slept pretty well last night, only waking up twice... for Chris. Today, she has been very alert and her appetite is starting to get back to normal. She will continue to take her medication for the next week and she will have a follow-up appointment with her doctor next week.

For the past month I have been fighting with insurance to get Elle added as of her birth date and not placement date. When we started the adoption paperwork and after we were matched with Elle, I had called several times to our insurance company to verify effective coverage date and each time I called they told me the same thing, "at time of birth". Thankfully I kept the names of the people I talked to, because that was not exactly accurate information they gave me. Regardless of what Cinga said, Chris' employer made the final decision as to what the effective date would be. HR goes by placement date, meaning when the BM signed over legal custody, which would have been 4/14/09. However, when I read the HR policy, it stated, the child would be covered if you intent to adopt the child and if the adoption would fail then coverage would stop immediately. Well, I read that as on Monday when we got the call and I accepted the match I intended to adopt her, therefore coverage should start 4/13. When I sent in my original request to add Elle to insurance I asked to make her effective date 4/12 since the child was born at night, and the BM didn't notify the agency until after birth (I attached the court doc that will be filed with the counts that stated that information.) I also explained there was no way to have signed papers Sunday by a notary if we would have wanted too. HR wanted court papers, this and that, none of which we had. Finally after days and days of going back and for, their legal department called and requested the ICPC, the state paper that we were waiting for in order to leave Georgia. I sent in the paper and held my breath, the date that was on the paper that the birthmother signed was 4/14. I was only hoping they would not use that date. This afternoon, I received a called and they are going to add Elle effective 4/12/09. Great news.

Here are a few pictures of Elle hooked up to all her machines in the hospital. She was such a good girl. The doctor's and nurse's all thought she was the cutest thing and amazed she didn't cry much.

Our Little Angel
what a fighter


A Very Tired Mommy

Again, a huge thanks to everybody that called, emailed, and prayed for us this past week. We love you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! So good to see things are improving. She is such a little doll. Kaya cannot wait to meet her!
Hugs,
Linell

Chryshelle AKA Mommy, Mama, Babe said...

She is so stinking cute! I love all the pictures. Keep 'em coming. :) Ember said to tell her "goooo" (translation - Glad you are feeling better!).

Anonymous said...

Hey I'm glad everything is going good now. That hospital pic reminds me of one of the twins in the NICU. They look so helpless don't they? Well she looks well now and i'm glad the Lord shined on her. Jay B