Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Day Nine-We Are Home

I will fill you in later, but we are home!

UPDATE: Elle and I finally made it home at 9am this morning. After yesterdays flight drama, I wish I could say today's flights were better.

Elle finally fell asleep around 230am, the alarm was scheduled to go off at 345am so we could get ready to catch the shuttle at 430am for our 6am flight. I went to recheck in my bag at United and they told me my bag was 6lbs over the weight limit. I explain to them that yesterday Delta, my original flight, allowed me to check my baggage in without paying the extra 175.00 fee. I explained we had been living in a hotel for a week and a lot of the weight was formula, shampoo, baby lotions, etc, etc. Unlike Delta who was very understanding, United was not and wanted me to pay the 175 bucks for 6lbs. Whatever, so I took shampoo, conditioner, and body wash out and set them on the counter. My bag weighed 49.9lbs. We made it to the gate and waited for boarding. However, it was 6am, and boarding had not even started. Finally, a little later they told us the emergency lights were not working on the steps to exit the plane if an emergency were to happen, so instead of fixing the problem, they were just going to wait until daylight to fly the plane. In the mean time the United worker called my name and handed me a new boarding pass for the 12pm flight from Chicago to Cedar Rapids. I was just a little frustrated. So, finally at 7am we board the plane and by 715am we were in the air headed to Chicago. The flight from Cincinnati to Chicago was 1 hour 10 minutes. I was planning my strategy of how I was going to get off this plan, change concourses, while trying not to drop my computer, lose anything from the diaper bag (which I couldn't zip), and make sure Elle didn't slip out of the sling. So, we landed and I made my move, I was getting on my flight, I had 20 minutes before the plane was to leave. They opened the doors and I started to exit and happened to notice we didn't get a nice indoor walk. We had to walk down the steep stairs and then 20 feet or so to the building.... in the rain! NICE. To TRY and make a long story short, I'm shaking my little (ok, it's big) butt as fast as I can and all the sudden I see C1... gate in the distance, looked at my watch, and started crying. I had 5 minutes, WE DID IT and WE ARE GOING HOME. However, I really had to pee. I got to the gate and asked the gal if I had time to go to the restroom and she looked at her watch and said NO, that I could use the bathroom on the plane. I sucked it up and headed on to the plane and found my seat. No, I was not going to use the nasty bathroom on the plane, that is just nasty. So, once again, Elle did wonderful on her flight home. We landed in Cedar Rapids and my eyes just filled up with tears, Elle was home.

Happy Ending... but there is still more drama....

My luggage and carseat never showed up! Yeap, it was great to be home, but I have no luggage and no carseat. I never gave it any thought, but there was no way my luggage would have been able to catch up with my CR flight in only 15 minutes. Just the icing on the cake... right. The airport was so kind to let us borrow their carseat. Real nice, it was the nastiest, thing I have ever seen. I couldn't believe I was putting my little Princess in this nasty carseat. I must have gotten over it, because we were headed home.

We got home and Elle and I took a much needed bath. Elle had a doctor's appointment at 145pm so we had time to relax and catch a nap. After my bath, I went to get ready, however, I had no blow dryer, no makeup, no deodorant, no toothbrush, do I really need to go on. I wrapped my hair in a towel and headed to my bed with Elle. We had a great nap. Chris woke us up at 110pm and asked how much time I needed to get ready to go. I sat up and took the towel off my head and you can't image what my hair looked like. It's hard to fix your crazy hair in 15 minutes much less when you don't even have a hairbrush. I was a scene from a modern horror show and I was going out in public.

The doctor's appointment went great and our doctor said Elle looked great. She weigh 6lbs 1oz. The rest of the afternoon went great. The boys couldn't take their eyes off Elle. They had a ton of questions, and took turns holding her all night.

It's 930pm and I'm going to bed. Good Night... Home Sweet Home!


AT THE AIRPORT

ELLE CHECKIN OUT HER BEAUTIFUL ROOM

GROUP PICTURE

5 comments:

Jane said...

Yea! Welcome home to you and Elle... What a crazy week for all of you. I bet the boys were thrilled to finally meet their little sister. I hope it is all going well

Reuter Family said...

I'm so happy for you all!!!! Reading the last few days journey gave me some laughs and some tears for joy. Enjoy getting to know your sweet Elle and I can't wait to meet her!!!!

Pam

Carol and Barry said...

Welcome home Lynae and Elle!! Your airport story had me laughing. I also had to ditch some of the lotions, etc. to not be over the weight limit when we flew home. Then in the next instant, after seeing the pictures of Elle with her big brothers, well I lost it and the tears were rolling. The pictures say it all!!!

Love,
Carol

Anonymous said...

We are happy for you guys. Congrats!! We'll see you all in June.

Eric & Stacy

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finally making it home! What an awesome looking family. The boys are just beaming in those pictures! It seriously brought tears to my eyes. I can't believe it has finally happened for you guys. Congratulations!

Angela